Thursday, November 1, 2012

DISNEY BUYS LUCASFILM!!! EPISODE VII IN 2015!!! WOOHOO!!!

Okay, so I'm a couple days late on talking about Disney buying Lucasfilm from George Lucas and announcing the slated release of Episode VII in 2015.  Cut me some slack, we just moved halfway across the country!

I just have to say I am so ridiculously, unbelievably giddy.  As I was finishing listening to the 2.5+ hour Forcecast about the announcement on the way to pick up my wife, I was literally bouncing up and down with excitement.  Yes, literally.  When I was explaining my excitement to my wife, I actually got choked up at the thought of camping overnight with my daughter at a Star Wars premiere, an experience I thought I'd never get to share with her.

Oh, and for all those that piss and moan about Star Wars being owned by The Mouse:
Deal with it. This is my daughter's dream come true.
More thoughts after the jump.
---
I had feared this blog would have a limited lifespan as there stopped being new Star Wars adventures and my daughter grew out of her enthusiasm for A Galaxy Far Far Away.  But this changes everything.  Instead of waxing nostalgic about the glory days of fandom, she'll get to live it.  She'll get to see everyone getting suited up in their best costumes, wielding lightsabers and blasters as they duel in the aisles and reenact their favorite scenes.  She'll have stories to tell her own children and, the Force willing, even take her kids to a Star Wars premiere.

Or even better, a Star Wars theme park.  I mean, can you imagine it?  Not just some little corner of Disney World or Disneyland, but a full-fledged, living, breathing Star Wars experience.  Instead of Adventureland and Tomorrowland, you'll have Tatooine and Coruscant.  Imagine a Battle of Yavin ride, barreling down the trench and blowing up the Death Star.  Or visiting the Lars' Homestead without having to travel to Tunisia.  Ooh!  Ooh!  Or visiting a full-scale Millennium Falcon!

But this is going to be so much more.  This means that Star Wars will live on for literally generations.  I'm also cautiously optimistic this means we will FINALLY see a re-release of the theatrical version of the original trilogy on Blu-Ray.  No 3D, no CGI, just the Star Wars we grew up with, warts and all.

I should take a moment to talk about the fact that Disney's buying up the property and why it's a good thing, but a thousand others have described it better than I can (listen to the aforementioned Forcecast, it has everything you need to know).  Let me just sum it up by saying that with their acquisitions of Pixar and Marvel (did any of you whiners even see The Avengers?), they have proven they know how to respect the fanbases of well-loved franchises.  And of course they will, because that's how Star Wars will make them money.  Despite the fact that Disney is simply a great company that is so much more than Mickey Mouse and princesses, the bottom line is it would be fiscally irresponsible to piss off the Star Wars fanboys, and Disney knows that.  I see nothing but good things coming from this acquisition.  And as for "Disney-fying" Star Wars, apparently people are just a little behind the times.

Because I bought this t-shirt at Disney World in 2004.
I'm so giddy I could go on for hours.  Thank you, George Lucas.  Thank you so very much.  For the longest time, everything pointed to Star Wars dying with your retirement.  Now I have something to look forward to sharing with my children for many, many years to come.

1 comment:

  1. I, for one, was not upset by Disney buying the rights. Getting some fresh ideas and writers in the process can't hurt.

    Also, better action figures. Nobody sells merchandise like Disney.

    ReplyDelete